1. When preparing your area for a new lawn, ensure the area is well drained and all existing weeds and vegetation are removed.
Rid the site of weeds and grasses, particularly Kikuyu. This is best done by spraying with Glyphosate (Roundup) a minimum of ten (10) days prior to laying the turf.
2. Rotary hoe or dig the soil to a depth of 100-150mm. You may add loam topsoil, if not make sure your existing soil is friable. Rake the soil level and prepare a firm surface for laying.
3. Test your soil. For acidic soils add lime (PH below 6). For heavy clay soils add gypsum.
4. We recommend you use Austurf Lawn Blend at one handful per square metre over the prepared area to help establish the root system of your newly laid lawn.
5. If you are installing a sprinkler system, install it after soil preparation at the desired height.
6. Water the area to settle the soil and provide a moist base for laying the instant lawn.
1. Lay your lawn immediately upon delivery.
2. Start laying your lawn along the straightest and longest edge. Push each roll firmly together (without stretching), Ensure rolls are laid across steep slopes and pegged if neccessary to stop movement.
3. Trim the new lawn with a sharp knife around plants and edges.
4. If possible lightly roll your new lawn to achieve contact with the soil underneath.
5. Water immediately to saturate the lawn and ensure the soil underneath is wet. Water daily, or more often, keeping the lawn moist until it is firmly rooted in about 4 weeks. Then water less frequently and for longer periods to encourage a stronger, deeper root system.
6. Don’t lay your new lawn over existing grass.
ESTABLISHMENT - First 4 weeks:
1. During the first 4 weeks, avoid heavy or concentrated use on your new lawn. This will give the root system an opportunity to firmly knit with the soil and will ensure the lawn remains level.
2. During root establishment (first 4 weeks) ensure your newly laid lawn remains moist at all times, and in Summer water frequently throughout the day.
3. After 2 to 3 weeks mow your new lawn for the first time.
1. Once the lawn is fully established it should be watered when necessary. (Once a week if water restrictions allow) Less frequent and longer watering will produce a more drought tolerant lawn. During hot weather, water the lawn more often.
2. Mow your new lawn at the recommended mowing height, allowing it to retain moisture and nutrients. Mow when the lawn is dry and ensure your mower blades are sharp. Never cut more than 1/3 off the leaf when mowing. Low mowing will damage your lawn and can allow weeds to invade your lawn.
3. Apply Austurf Lawn Blend 6 weeks after laying. Apply to a dry leaf at 1 handful per square metre and water in well. We recommend you fertilise your lawn every 10 to 12 weeks to maintain a healthy, rich green lawn.